Mobile applications have gained massive adoption over the years, and they have become essential tools for business and personal use. As a business, with an app, you can reach customers through a convenient and easy-to-use interface and drive engagement across your customer base.
One of the key decisions you will have to make in building an app for your business or idea is selecting the right mobile app development company to work with. The success of your app will depend to a significant extent on the partner you select to work with you on the app. To find the best mobile app partners for your project, start with these eight considerations:
1. Determine what type of app your business needs:
You need to know what kind of mobile app you need to select the right mobile app development company. Ask yourself these questions:
- What do I want to achieve with my app?
- What is my budget?
- What are my competitors doing, and how will I compete with them?
- Who is my target audience, and how can I reach them effectively using different platforms (iOS vs Android vs Web)?
Different agencies have expertise in building different types of apps. Answering these questions will help you shortlist the agencies with the relevant experience to build the type of app you want.
2. Consider the life cycle of your app:
This is a key question for setting a budget for your app which would influence the type of agency you can partner with to build your app.
- Consider the life cycle of the app. Will it need to be updated regularly? How much will the updates cost and how often will they happen?
- Will you need to hire a team of people to support and monitor your app after launch? This can be an expensive proposition, but it is necessary in some cases.
- Can your agency provide this kind of service, or do they only develop apps and then leave them on their own once they’re live?
3. Know the platform best suited for the type of app you want to build:
One of the most important factors to consider when selecting your mobile app development agency is which platform you want to develop for. Mobile app development platforms are drastically different, and each has its own pros and cons. To ensure that you’re getting an app compatible with the devices your target audience use, it’s important to know which one is best for your business.
You do not need to have technical skills to make this decision. Speaking to a few agencies would give your fairly good ideas of the pros and cons of the different app development platforms available for you to choose from.
Based on the information from the preliminary conversations with agencies, you can also read up a bit on some of the recommended frames to get an idea of what each of them offers. You may want to select an agency that has good project experience with the platform that is best suited for your project.
iOS vs Android
The two most popular smartphone operating systems are iOS (which powers iPhones, iPads and iPods) and Android (which powers a wide range of smartphones). These two platforms have many differences between them—but how do you decide which one is right for your app? Here are some things to consider:
- Advantages of developing on iOS include better programming language support; easier integration with other Apple products like Siri; higher approval rates by Apple itself; greater revenue opportunities due to a larger user base. However, there are also disadvantages: fewer third-party tools available; fewer apps available overall; fewer customization options.
- Advantages of developing on Android include more affordable than iOS development; larger variety in phones available so more people can use it; open source framework allows anyone who wants to contribute new features or fix bugs in the code itself – no need for approval from Google first! But these advantages come at a price too. Disadvantages include extended wait times due to costs associated with quality assurance testing before distribution because there’s no central authority overseeing distribution like Apple does with their App Store.
4. Check their portfolio
Before hiring an app developer, check their portfolio and find out what kind of apps they have developed before.
A good agency should have at least one or two apps in the categories that you need (news, games, productivity). If your agency has developed a similar app to yours then it’s a good sign. Be sure to ask them about its functionality and design as well. It must be easy to use and simple enough for your target audience to use.
You should also ask how they have performed on budget and on the delivery timeline. Often, a good technical team might still fail due to poor project management. Working with an agency with a good combination of technical experience and project management expertise is critical to delivering your project on time, on budget and in line with agreed specifications.
5. Ask for references
A reference from an actual client is one of the best indicators of the capabilities of a mobile app agency. If a client is happy with their work, then chances are they would be willing to give a reference. Ask for references from previous clients who had developed an app with this agency before hiring them on your next project because it shows how experienced they are in this field by showing case studies from real clients who were satisfied with their work so far.
6. Profile of team members
App development involves a lot of interaction between the project owner and the agency building the app. Understanding the profile of some of the team members who will be working is essential to the successful delivery of the app. Check out their technical expertise, communication skills and general chemistry. If possible, get on chat with them and gauge how easy it is to communicate with them.
Oftentimes, challenges might arise on a project and having a solid rapport with the team who will be working often helps to make the resolution a less painful experience. By having introductory conversations with the team, you will likely work with, you can begin to make a judgement on where the agency is right for you.
7. How much does the agency charge
You do not want to go for an agency that will break the bank. At the same time, you do not necessarily want to go for the cheapest option as it might be an indication of compromise in offering or incomplete pricing. By comparing offerings from different agencies, you begin to understand the median price for the project you are trying to build.
Check with each agency to understand what is covered in their pricing. This will help make an accurate comparison and avoid potential hidden charges. If your project has many business features as well as some level of complexity, it might be the case that a firm fixed price might not apply. In cases like this, a waterfall project management approach is adopted, over agile project management, where each module or phase of the project is built as billed based on resources utilised until the project gets to a satisfactory conclusion.
8. Maintenance and Support
Apart from the initial cost of building a mobile application, there will be ongoing requirements for the upkeep and maintenance of the app. What level of support does the agency you are considering provide in this regard?
Some agencies will offer a package that includes maintenance and support for the first few months post-launch of your app while others might charge a fee for this. Having this conversation in advance will help avoid any misunderstanding down the line and will help you compare apples-to-apples when you are doing your comparison across several agencies.
If you’re looking to develop an app for your business, it’s important to consider all of these factors before deciding on an agency. If you want to build something that will help your company grow and succeed, then choosing the right one is crucial for success.